Article regarding the prolific usb-2-com driver for the card reader.
After an upgrade to Windows 10, it's possible that the card reader stops working. This is an issue with the com port driver. All versions starting from 3.4 have issues with Windows 10. So we'll need to install an older driver.
We're talking about the Prolific USB to Serial com port. If you have this issue, there will be a warning symbol next to this driver.
What to do:
1. Download the old driver
2. Install this driver
3. Open Device Manager
4. Right click the USB to Serial device and select Properties.
5. Go to the Driver tab and click Update Driver.
6. Select "Browse my computer for driver software"
6. Click "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"
7. Select the 3.3 version and click 'Next'.
This will install the old driver again.
Warning: Windows might try to update this driver again to the latest (broken) version.
To prevent this, follow these steps:
1. In the start menu, search for "Change device installation settings", and select the appropriate entry in the search results. You should see this dialog:
If you can't find this, this might help.
2. Click "No" and then "Save changes".